- What are merits and demerits of median?
- What are the merits and demerits of mean median and mode?
- What is mean deviation and merits and demerits of mean deviation?
- What are the limitations of range?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of mean deviation?
- Why is the range important?
- What is a disadvantage of using the mean?
- What are the merits of statistics?
- What are the uses of range?
- What are the merits and demerits of quartile deviation?
- What is mean deviation?
What are merits and demerits of median?
1) It is easy to compute and understand.
2) It is well defined an ideal average should be.
3) It can also be computed in case of frequency distribution with open ended classes.
4) It is not affected by extreme values and also interdependent of range or dispersion of the data..
What are the merits and demerits of mean median and mode?
The arithmetic mean (or simply “mean”) of a sample is the sum of the sampled values divided by the number of items in the sample. l It is capable of being treated mathematically and hence it is widely used in statistical analysis.
What is mean deviation and merits and demerits of mean deviation?
1. As in case of X, every term is taken in account hence, it is certainly a better measure than other measures of dispersion i.e. Range, Percentile Range or Quartile Range. 2. Mean deviation is extensively used in other fields such as Economics, Business, Commerce or any other field of such type, 3.
What are the limitations of range?
The disadvantage of using range is that it does not measure the spread of the majority of values in a data set—it only measures the spread between highest and lowest values. As a result, other measures are required in order to give a better picture of the data spread.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of mean deviation?
The greatest drawback of this method is that algebraic signs are ignored while taking the deviations of the items….Merits of Mean Deviation:It is simple to understand and easy to compute.It is based on each and every item of the data.MD is less affected by the values of extreme items than the Standard deviation.
Why is the range important?
An important use of statistics is to measure variability or the spread ofdata. … The range, another measure ofspread, is simply the difference between the largest and smallest data values. The range is the simplest measure of variability to compute. The standard deviation can be an effective tool for teachers.
What is a disadvantage of using the mean?
The important disadvantage of mean is that it is sensitive to extreme values/outliers, especially when the sample size is small. Therefore, it is not an appropriate measure of central tendency for skewed distribution. Mean cannot be calculated for nominal or nonnominal ordinal data.
What are the merits of statistics?
Simply put, the numbers and figures speak for themselves. Thus, in this way, it gives us a very correct picture of what is happening in the environment and nature. Statistical study helps us with planning and better understanding of phenomena belonging to many different fields of study.
What are the uses of range?
Given that the range can easily be computed with information on the maximum and minimum value of the data set, users requiring only a rough indication of the data may prefer to use this indicator over more sophisticated measures of spread, like the standard deviation.
What are the merits and demerits of quartile deviation?
Merits and Demerits of Quartile DeviationIt can be easily calculated and simply understood.It does not involve much mathematical difficulties. … As it takes middle 50% terms hence it is a measure better than Range and Percentile Range.It is not affected by extreme terms as 25% of upper and 25% of lower terms are left out.More items…
What is mean deviation?
: the mean of the absolute values of the numerical differences between the numbers of a set (such as statistical data) and their mean or median.